The most southern island of the Cyclades, along with Anafi. At a distance of 130 n.miles from the port of Piraeus, it has a surface of 76 sq.m., coastline of 69 km and a highest elevation of 547 m, named Profitis Ilias. The greatest part of the island is a plain with harborless coasts, which are steep at the western and southern part ,while smooth and low at the northwest and east part. The end-parts of the island form the capes of Mavropetra, Exomitis, Kamari and Akrotiri . Out of the today's complex of five islands in the area of Santorini, i.e., the three, Thira, Thirassia and Aspronissi derive from a primarily one island, that extended around the peak of Profitis Ilias and was the result of the volcanic activity. Later on, after the activation of new submarine volcanoes, large quantities of material that joined together with the island, rose to the surface. At the same time, in today's bay of Mouzaki, after the eruption of another crater and the materials that were added, a new single island was formed, called Strogyli, on which the prehistoric inhabitants of the island lived and developed their civilization. Following a long period of calm, around 1500 B.C. the volcanoes' activation restarted. The population abandoned the island, which was covered by volcanic ashes and pumices. Also, the large volcanic dome and the large cavity formed was filled with sea water. Thus, the three islands were formed, Thira, Therassia and Aspronissi. That basin, the "Caldera" as it is called, is one of the largest on earth and has a length of about 11 km, a highest depth of 390 m and walls of 200 to 300 m in height. During the continuous volcanic eruption, large tidal waves were observed that reached even the northern coasts of Crete and destroyed the Minoan civilization of that island. After many years and new volcanic activities, today's smaller islands were formed; in 46 AC the Palia Kameni and in 1707 AC the Nea Kameni. In 1925, after a new eruption of the crater, the Mikri Kameni was formed and joined together with the Nea Kameni. The islands' soil is now covered by volcanic stones such as pumices, sulphur, barytine, anhydrides, etc.
Paros is found almost in the center of the cluster of Cyclades and abstains 95 nautical miles from Piraeus. It has a shape of an egg and its center is convert by mountains with the highest heels of Profitis Ilias (Agii Pantes) with 771 m altitude and Stroumboula (725 m). The ground lowers to the coasts shaping small and fertile fields. In the subsoil of Paros we find the eminent white marble known from the antiquity, which was used in the entire known world for the construction of public buildings and temples. Many of the preserved statues of ancient Greece are made of Paros' marble, like Hermes of Praxitelis and the Venus of Milos. At the present days we find very few relics of marble mines. The coasts of the island are fairly rounded except the Gulf of Naousa that covers all the northern part of the island.
The old town of Chania is built on the ruins of ancient Kidonia, one of the most historical Minoan cities. Point of reference is the Venetian port with its walls and the fortress of Firka, the lighthouse, the Giali Tzamisi and the beautiful architectonic of the old town. A walk around the old town, the Spiantza(Turkish neighborhood), the Topanas area with Venetian estates, the Venetian lighthouse at the entrance of the port and many other parts of the town will compensate any visitor. The renovated neighborhood of Koum Kapi his full of youth centres. Impressive monument of the town is the municipal market which connects the old town with the new town. At the peninsula near Chania lay the toms of Venizelos' family which has a unique view of the town. An archaeological museum functions at Chania which is divided in two sections. At the first section anyone finds ruins of Neolithic end copper times end at the second section you can find ruins of the historical times. It is a unique town, while the most beautiful of the Greek territory.
Rhodes is the fourth largest Greek island covering 1,398 sq km, with a coastline of approximately 220 km (137 m). It is located 250s.m. away from the port of Piraeus (town), 25s.m. away from Karpathos and 10m. to the southwest of Asia Minor. The major part of the island is mountainous with high mountains like Mount Attavyros, at 1,215m., Mount Akramytis at 825m and Mount Profitis Ilias at 798 m. The coastline is lowland and the sea shores are even and straight open voes. The cape Zonari is the north borderline and Prasonissi the south.
The most northward island of the Ionian Sea islands' complex, situated in the northewestern end of the Greek territory. An island with low elevations and a rich vegetation. The northeastern part of the island is mountainous and Pantokratoras is its highest peak (906 m). The multifarious bays of the island are low and gentle, except for those in the northeastern coast which are rocky and steep. The hills, which reach down to the coast are full of pine trees and olive groves. There are no significant water flows. Two lagoons are formed : that of Chalkiopoulos in the southern part of the town and the one of Korrissii on the southwestern coast. At the end points of the island the capes of Drastis and St. Catherine are formed northwards and the capes of Lefkimi and Asprokavos on the south. The island has an excellent climate with mild winters and cool summers, along with many long rainfalls.
The biggest in coverage (781, 5 sq.km) Island of the Ionian Sea and 6th in Greece. Characteristically of the Island are its desultory shape, high-hills and big gulfs. Southwest lies the mountain of Emos with its highest hill, Megalo Soro (1627m), covered with the famous Kefallonian fir trees and has been declared as national Park since 1962. At the rest of the mountains of the Island the hills rise up to 1000 m. The biggest gulfs on the Island are Argostoli, Sami, Atheras, Katelios, Agias Efthimias, Mirtos and Loudras. Kefallonia has a temperate climate with mild winter and cool and dry summer. The economy of the Island is based on agricultural, dairy, fishing and tourist activities. It's connected with the rest of Greece by plane and coastally from the ports of Argostoli, Sami, Poros, Fiskardo and Agias Efthimias.
The first capital of the new Greek state with unique architectural identity, is a living example of a neoclassic Greek city of the 19th century. It has an outstanding 3 fortress compound, Palamidi (on top of the hill), Akronafplia, and Bourggi (on the small island across the port). Important sightseeing's are the church of Saint Spiridon, the Venetian arms museum and the two Islamic temples. Today it is a big tourist attraction.
At a distance of 132km to the south-east of Thessalonica (nearly two hours by car), Sithonia is a lush green peninsula, with pine trees forests and lots of isolated bays, as well as marvelous, sandy beaches, listed among the best of Greece. It is, therefore, an ideal destination for a quiet, inexpensive vacation. Without rushing, you can, in a day, drive around the whole peninsula, by taking the circular road, and with just one detour, you can also pay a visit to the almost deserted traditional village of Parthenon. Starting from Niketee, you will pass by two more lovely beaches, Kalogria and Lagomandra, before reaching New Marmara, a seaside resort, with tourism and night life. Porto Carras resort, 18000acres piece of land, with imposing hotels, a casino, golf courses and a riding club is our next stop. By taking an asphalt road, between the main road and the seaside, you will have the chance to enjoy a wonderful landscape, with luxurious green hills, small ports, capes, coves and sandy beaches, with turquoise waters, until you reach Toronis bay, with the homonymous village and an ample beach. Heading on, passing by the lovely beaches of Kalamitsi and Sykia, you reach another resort, called Sarti, which can become an excursion base so that you can visit some of the loveliest beaches of Greece: Kavurotrypes, a beach with naturally sculptured rocks, Armenisti, a sandy beach with blue waters, and Platanitsi, a white sand beach enclosed in the communal camping area. At a short distance from here, near the seaside village Burburus, there is Karydi, a group of sandy coves, with a first class beach bar.
A seaside tourist village, with a sandy beach and lush vegetation, near which there is the homonymous castle, right by the borderline between Macedonia and Thessaly, a remnant of Frankish presence in Macedonia. Built by Bonifatios Momferatikos, in 1205, on top of a pre-existing Byzantine castle, it has remained under Turkish occupation until 1912, the year that the whole area was liberated.
One of the most beautiful towns in West Greece, built in the verdant extremities that end in the sea, its mountains name after. Classified as a traditional settlement, with marvellous sandy beaches and verdant islets, Parga concentrates many holiday-makers during the summer. In the peak of a sheer hill there is a castle, a Venetians' remnant since the medieval period.